Jen Prins, MD, board certified in General Psychiatry, is focusing her practice in the new subspecialty of sports psychiatry.
- Completed psychiatry residency training at Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic (WPIC), which is a part of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC).
- WPIC psychiatry residency program is consistently ranked in the top 10 psychiatric training programs according to U.S. News and World Report.
- Graduated from medical school at Indiana University School of Medicine (M.D.).
- Completed a masters degree in public health (M.P.H.) from the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health.
- Attended the University of Notre Dame (B.Sci.) for undergraduate studies.
Born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, much of Dr. Prins’ childhood was spent at the University of Hawaii swimming pool, where her father was the Head Swimming Coach of the Division I Swimming Team, coaching national and international level swimmers, including Olympians. Growing up within the “extended family” of the swim team not only sparked Dr. Prins’ interested in sports and athletics, but also solidified her holistic view of athletes as people with gifts and talents that extend beyond the realm of sports into the rest of their lives, reinforcing her concern for their overall well-being.
Training Specific to Treating Mental Health Issues in Athletes
Dr. Prins has sought the following training relevant to the specific mental health needs of athletes.
- Psychiatric residency at Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic included training in the assessment and treatment of mood disorders, substance use disorders, psychotic disorders, and psychiatric emergencies
- Sports medicine in the University of Pittsburgh athletic training room
- Coursework in “Sport & Exercise Psychology Interventions” through Chatham University
- ADHD Across the LifeSpan clinic at Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic
- Center for Overcoming Problem Eating (COPE) at Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic
- University of Pittsburgh Counseling Center
- Training in treating complicated grief at Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic
Training Specific to Treating Post-Concussion Symptoms
Dr. Prins has completed a broad spectrum of concussion-related specialty electives as part of her general psychiatry residency training.
- UPMC Headache Center
- UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program
- UPMC Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Department Concussion & Head Injury Clinic
- WPIC Adolescent Concussion Clinic
- WPIC Sleep Medicine Center
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Pediatric Epilepsy Center